Accepting Mackenzies arguments and under continual pressure by navigation proponents in Minneapolis, Congress authorized the Five-Foot Project in Aid of Navigation, in the River and Harbor Act of August 18, 1894. No. In 1892, Mackenzie again insisted that only locks and dams could regularly entice steamboats above Meeker Island; any other efforts, he charged, wasted time and money.89, Signaling a possible break, the Chief of Engineers, on February 15, 1893, directed Mackenzie to prepare new and exact estimates for locks and dams for this portion of the river . There they took a steamboat upriver to Prescott, Wisconsin, some 30 miles below St. Paul, arriving in June 1854. Frank Haigh Dixon, A Traffic History of the Mississippi River System, National Waterways Commission, Document No. Two groups are studying parts of the Mississippi River with plans to build new bridges across it. . On June 7, 1868, the Minneapolis Daily Tribune claimed that the Meeker Island lock and dam would transfer the commercial prestige of this upper country from St. Paul to the Magnet.80 St. Paul industrial boosters also claimed victory. The four broad projects are known as the 4-, 41/2-, 6- and 9-foot channel projects. . In 1873, Congress lost patience with the Mississippi River Improvement and Manufacturing Company and appropriated $25,000 for the Corps to begin the project.85 But Congress required the state to return the land grant before the Corps could start. Early railheads on the upper river's east bank fostered steamboat traffic, but they initiated its end as well. It was 1,581 feet long, built of timber, rested on six stone piers, and stretched from the Illinois community of Rock . In 1862, Nathan Daly, the son of a Minnesota pioneer family fleeing from the Dakota Conflict in Minnesota, recounts the effect bars could have on a steamboat's hull. 65 Annual Report, 1880, p. 1495. Doc. Compatibility between rail lines made transshipment unnecessary. Granted, Mackenzie repeatedly called for locks and dams. The threat of a railroad monopoly, the commercial decline of the Mississippi River and rising dissatisfaction with his Republican party were of particular concern to Senator Windom (Figure 7). Bridge 29-10-03 Pier Railroad over Sugar River, Sullivan County, NH, closed to traffic. Four bridges cross the Mississippi at Memphis: the Frisco Bridge, the Harahan, the Memphis and Arkansas, and the Hernando DeSoto. As steamboats evolved and as the region's population and production grew, the river's limitations as a navigation route would become unacceptable and Midwesterners would repeatedly call for its improvement as a commercial artery. Annual Reports, 1867, pp. Hill, Out With the Fleet, p. 291. There was a time when the jewel of St. Louis, though, was the Eads Bridge. The first bridge (and only log bridge) over the Mississippi, about 25 feet south of its source at Lake Itasca This is a list of all current and notable former bridges or other crossings of the Upper Mississippi River which begins at the Mississippi River's source and extends to its confluence with the Ohio River at Cairo, Illinois . While the First Battle of Porto raged on March 29, 1809, thousands of civilians attempted to flee a bayonet charge by the French imperial army by crossing the Ponte das Barcas, a pontoon bridge. No sooner had a barge of rocks been pulled up to the dam, Hill remembered, than the symmetry of the load was destroyed as the men began the routine of sinking the mat. The St. Paul District commander, Major Francis R. Shunk, tried to explain the matter to Minneapolis Mayor J. C. Haynes on February 17, 1909. Cadwallader C. Washburn and his brother William D., the Minneapolis Mill Company's owners and two of the city's most powerful and prominent millers, adamantly opposed locks and dams. A 1903-1905 Corps navigation map shows the river ribbed with wing dams and closing dams and lined with hundreds of miles of riprap. Enough said. Annual Report, 1890, p. 2034; Annual Report, 1892, pp. They would build as many wing dams, close as many side channels, and protect as much shoreline as needed to establish a 41/2-foot channel. After the war, he settled in New York. Rock Island District, Corps of Engineers, Railroad Monopolies The Midwests need to receive and send out goods grew as rapidly as its population and agricultural production. . Vol. Mississippi River Bridge Crossing in the Memphis study area. House Ex. Assistant Engineer W.A. It was named after its designer and builder, James Buchanan Eads. The highest average daily traffic (ADT) count in the entire planning area, and one of the highest in the State of Iowa, is 77,000 ADT (2000) on the I-74 bridge over the Mississippi River. Bridge 37-20-40 Chambers Railroad over Coast Fork of the Willamette River, Lane County, OR, closed to traffic. The number of islands, of course, varied with the season and the year, as many islands were temporary. 632 views, 2 likes, 0 loves, 6 comments, 1 shares, Facebook Watch Videos from Monticello Baptist Church: Monticello Baptist Church was live. The solution, they insisted, lay in improving the nation's waterways, especially the Mississippi River and its tributaries. It did, however, authorize the Corps of Engineers to survey the reach between Fort Snelling and St. Anthony Falls, along with its general survey of the upper Mississippi River. This is a list of all current and notable former bridges or other crossings of the Upper Mississippi River which begins at the Mississippi River's source and extends to its confluence with the Ohio River at Cairo, Illinois. Due to the milling operations at the falls, the cataract was in danger of deteriorating into a series of rapids. Doc. Bridge will be in down position. To eliminate the problem, the Engineers closed the upper end of the east channel. Midwestern farmers sent grain to Chicago, and Chicago merchants and eastern manufacturers sent their goods back on the railroads. Railroad expansion following the Civil War accelerated the pace of the Midwest's unprecedented population and agricultural growth. Photo by Henry P. Bosse. U.S. Congress, House, Survey of the Upper Mississippi River, Exec. St. Paul District records, St. Paul, Minnesota. The Corps of Engineers was working on a project to save the falls. Annual Report 1872, p. 310. 318-19. In its petition, the state stressed that boats had frequently landed within two and one-half miles of downtown Minneapolis, up until 1857. 259, 262; Laws of the United States, pp., 155-56; H. Exec. Nate [Nathan] Daly, Tracks and Trails: Incidents in the Life of a Minnesota Pioneer, (Walker, Minnesota: Cass County Pioneer, 1931), p. 18. Merrick, Old Times, p. 162, says that From 1852 to 1857 there were not boats enough to carry the people who were flocking into the newly-opened farmers' and lumbermans' paradise.. Lying at the head of navigation, they demanded a river capable of delivering the immigrants needed to populate the land (not considering that they had taken it from Native Americans) and the tools and provisions needed to fully use it. By 1905, the Engineers had built about 340 wing and closing dams from the Minnesota River to the southern end of the MNRRA corridor below Hastings. In addition to a new highway bridge crossing, this study was also intended to evaluate a new railroad bridge crossing. While railroads could send many cars in both directions with full cargoes, barges delivering their commodities at St. Louis or New Orleans or points in between too often returned empty.43. 14-15: the rule has been to place them, in straight reaches, five-sevenths of the proposed channel width apart; in curved reaches, one-half on the concave sides and the full width on the convex sides. So they actively participated in local, regional and national campaigns for navigation improvement. But the economic panic of 1857 and the Civil War ended further railroad expansion across the Mississippi. Although long-dreamed of by railroad promoters and city boosters, bridge construction did not begin until 1933 during the Great Depression. Direct communication, they pleaded, is both natural and necessary, and the all-beneficent Creator has graciously anticipated the wants and necessities of unborn millions in having given us exactly such a continuous means of supply and exchange from the Falls of St. Anthony to the Gulf of Mexico. The petition even cited editorials from the St. Paul papers stressing the importance of Minneapolis to the region's economy. This steep slope, combined with a narrow gorge and limestone boulders left by the retreat of the falls, made the river through this reach too treacherous for steamboat navigation.25 Thus, St. Paul had become the head of navigation. Shortly after the glaciers withdrew from southern Minnesota some 10,000 years ago, St. Anthony Falls stretched across the river valley near downtown St. Paul. Self-guided Tours from $12.31 per adult Jackson Puzzling Adventure Adventure Tours from $34.95 per group (up to 12) Nutty Natchez Scavenger Hunt Self-guided Tours from $27.00 per adult Before the Civil War, Congress authorized minor improvements for the upper Mississippi River but no work for the river above Hastings. His figures for arrivals differ slightly from those of Dixon in Table 2.1. . B etween Iowa and Illinois, spanning a stretch of the Mississippi River that flows from east to west, sits an exhausted 55-year-old concrete bridge. Annual Report, 1875, Part 2, Vol. These bridges include but are not limited to : Pons Mulvius, Pons Probi and Pons Aeilus. The second railroad bridge to cross the Mississippi in Arkansas is Harahan Bridge, only 200 feet north of Frisco Bridge. Mississippi River, the longest river of North America, draining with its major tributaries an area of approximately 1.2 million square miles (3.1 million square km), or about one-eighth of the entire continent. Annual Report, 1895, pp. A crack in a steel beam forced . As a result, Warren favored dredging. . This is a list of bridges and other crossings of the Lower Mississippi River from the Ohio River downstream to the Gulf of Mexico. The 4-foot project did not greatly alter the river's physical or ecological character and did not improve the river much for navigation, but it initiated a series of navigation projects that would do both. Some steamboats might land only once, while others returned many times. p. 213. George Byron Merrick captures well the perils of sailing the natural river. Eads Bridge, the first combined road and railway bridge over the Mississippi River connected the cities of St. Louis, Missouri, and East St. Louis, Illinois. Hartsough, Canoe, pp. Having accomplished nothing as the deadline approached, the company spent $26,000 during late 1870 and early 1871. A collision involving a train at the intersection of . If lucky, they avoided hogging the boat; that is, warping or breaking its hull.24. . In other words, Congress asked the Corps to determine how to establish a continuous, 4-foot channel for the upper river at low water. Petersen, Captains, p. 235; Tweet, History of Transportation on the Upper Mississippi and Illinois Rivers, pp. And the Midwest needed the South's cotton, rice, sugar, and molasses. 23-25; Tweet, A History of the Rock Island District, U.S. Army, Corps of Engineers, 1866-1983, (Washington: U.S. Government Printing Office, 1984), p. 39; William J. Petersen, Steamboating on the Upper Mississippi, (Iowa City: The State Historical Society of Iowa, 1968), pp. There is the city of St. Paul, and there is the city of Minneapolis. ix-xix, 3-30; Robert S. Salisbury, William Windom, Apostle of Positive Government, (New York: University Press of America, 1993), pp. The Stone Arch Bridge of Minneapolis is a National Civil Engineering Landmark created from 1881 to 1883 to function as a railroad bridge. Below Red Wing, water from the reservoirs had little effect.68. But the economic panic of 1857 and the Civil War ended further railroad expansion across the Mississippi. The Mississippi River lies entirely within the United States. 1, 62nd Cong., 3d sess., Doc. Windom's hometown, Winona, lay on the Mississippi River in southeastern Minnesota.51 Windom first became a senator when Republican Daniel S. Norton died in office in 1870 and Minnesota's governor appointed Windom to fill the seat. The density of channel constriction works and the degree to which they physically and ecologically changed the river increased gradually over the project's history. The flood advisory . As Mackenzie anticipated, Congress, under pressure from Minneapolis to do something, provided $50,000 to the Corps to remove boulders, which the Engineers did during the summer of 1890 and in 1891. No. And Congress had authorized, that year, a sixth dam for the Headwaters, the one at Gull Lake. In June and July of 1891, Mackenzie carried out even more accurate surveys of most of the river from the Minneapolis steamboat warehouse to the Short Line bridge below Meeker Island and of select areas down to the Minnesota River; see Annual Report, 1891, p. 2154. With Warren's arrival in St. Paul in August, the Corps established a permanent stake in how the upper Mississippi River would be managed and changed. On June 23, 1866, Congress passed the first postwar River and Harbor Act. No. The count in 2011 was 60,700 vehicles per day. 92-93; Kane, Rivalry, p. 312. Behind the bar lay a deep pool of water. Millers at St. Anthony Falls especially pushed for reservoirs above the falls. Photo by Brady. . St. Paul recorded 41 steamboat arrivals in 1844, and 95 in 1849. 1:07. Steamboat traffic grew quickly after 1823. . 1682-83; U.S. Congress, Senate, Construction of Locks and Dams in the Mississippi River, 53d Cong., 2d sess., Exec. Hundreds of islands, some forming and others being cut away, divided the natural river, dispersing its waters into innumerable side channels and backwaters. The Engineers were to create a permanent, continuous navigation channel, 41/2-feet deep at low-water, for the entire river between St. Paul and the mouth of the Illinois River at Alton. No. A wave would start at the head of the reach and begin moving down, even when the current slowed. Before 1906, the important problem of the arrangement was largely left to the judgment of local engineers. Donald B. Dodd and Wynelle S. Dodd, Historical Statistics of the United States, 1790-1970. 44-45. In doing so, they would contribute to the drive for navigation improvement at the same time they were throttling shipping on the river. U.S. Army, Corps of Engineers, Annual Report of the Chief of Engineers,1872, (Washington, D.C.: Government Printing Office, 1876-1940), p. 309. 148, 151-52, 155; Schonberger, Transportation to the Seaboard, pp. Opened October 22, 2016, Big River Crossing is the longest public pedestrian/bike bridge across the Mississippi River, providing dramatic views of its ever-changing landscape. Ten sheets formed a continuous map of the river from St. Anthony Falls to the mouth of the St. Croix River. . From Minneapolis' perspective, the channel improvement works on the upper Mississippi River only benefitted its principal rivalSt. If the company failed to do so, the state threatened to rescind the grant and issue it to another company. John O. Anfinson, The Secret History of the Mississippi's Earliest Locks and Dams, Minnesota History 54:6 (Summer 1995):254-67. Her father, Albert Kirchner, along with Jacob Richtman, both from Fountain City, Wisconsin, became the leading contractors for the Corps in wing dam construction. Spring flooding on the upper Mississippi River has reached nearly historic levels this year, the result of overwhelming and quick snowmelt from Minnesota and Wisconsin. The remaining maps focused on problem reaches or detailed the river near a specific town.32 From these maps and from what he would learn about early navigation improvements, Warren began planning the 4-foot channel project. Woods, Knights of the Plow: Oliver Kelley and the Origins of the Grange in Republican Ideology, (Ames: Iowa State University Press, 1991), Chapters 7 and 8, supports and greatly expands on Barns' argument that Kelley actively pushed economic and political solutions and/or tacitly approved while others did so. MN The lock and dam project hopelessly mired, the Corps, during its 1890 survey, evaluated removing boulders and rocks to encourage navigation.88 Major Alexander Mackenzie, the Rock Island District commander who had taken over this part of the river with the change in funding in 1888, suspected that Congress might authorize the Corps to remove the boulders in lieu of building locks and dams, even though it had authorized $25,000 to plan for a lock and dam in 1873. Alberta Kirchner Hill spent 19 summers (1898-1917) with her father's fleet as they built the dams for the government. This is the general phone line at the Mississippi River Visitor Center. 247, 40th Cong., 2d sess., p. 9. Doc. Roald Tweet, History of Transportation on the Upper Mississippi & Illinois Rivers, (Washington: U.S. Government Printing Office, 1983), 21-22; Petersen, Captains and Cargoes, 228, 234-38; Hartsough, Canoe, 74-75. Snags were such frequent and treacherous hazards that steamboat pilots named them (Figure 3). All this, they believed, was part of their manifest destiny. Grangers sought to control railroad rates through state and federal regulation and through improved navigation on the nation's rivers. The Interstate 40 bridge over the Mississippi River could be closed for weeks, if not longer, because of damage that could have led to "a catastrophic event.". By 1907, Minneapolis, St. Paul, Hastings and other river cities, through their successful lobbying and through the Corps, had changed the upper Mississippi River dramatically. Desiring to keep traffic flowing past their city, the citizens had attempted to close the Wisconsin channel but had been unsuccessful. Alberta Kirchner Hill, Out With the Fleet, Minnesota History, (1961):286. Between 1866 and 1869, three more railroads crossed the river to Iowa, and by 1877, thirteen railroad bridges spanned the upper . No general plan had been developed or implemented. They would have to alter the pattern by which sand and silt moved along the river bottom. Interstate 29/35 or US 71 takes you over it. Kane, St. Anthony, p. 175, says Deprived of the navigation facilities they coveted, persuasive Minneapolitans continued to urge the federal government to act. Blegen, Minnesota, A History of the State, (Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press, 1975, 1963), p. 290. Kane, Rivalry, pp. The burdens they impose upon both consumer and producer are too grievous to be long endured.55 On March 26, 1873, responding to Windom, the Grange and the transportation crisis, the Senate directed Windoms committee to study the problem.56, On April 24, 1874, Windoms committee submitted its report to the Senate. Connected with this matter is a secret history, upon which I proceed as discreetly as may be to cast a little light. Saint Paul, U.S. Congress, House, Survey of Upper Mississippi River, Letter from the Secretary of War in answer to a resolution of the House, of December 20, 1866, transmitting report of the Chief of Engineers, with General Warrens report of the surveys of the Upper Mississippi river and its tributaries, 39th Congress, 2d Session, Ex. Throughout his article (pp. . Ibid., pp. 67-68; Duties for the middle Mississippi stayed with the Office of Western Improvements in Cincinnati until 1873, when St. Louis became the new office for the middle river; see Dobney, River Engineers, pp. Annual Report, 1873, p. 411; Annual Report, 1874, p. 287. Mackenzie added that the Corps would have to build a third lock and dam with a 10.1-foot lift to bring navigation to St. Anthony Falls and a fourth lock to bring navigation above it. More than 170 bridges (foot and railroad) span the Mississippi River on its journey from source to mouth. This transport-related list is incomplete; you can help by adding missing items. The Lafayette is the longest, at . At Lock and Dam 1, the Engineers had begun constructing the lock.92 Few, if any, spectators watching the Itura paddle through Lock 2 imagined that the new facility would be destroyed within 5 years. Warren asked private companies and local interests what work they had done to improve the river's navigability. However, Paxson, whom he cites, shows that the railroad completed tracks from Alton to Springfield, Illinois, in 1852, and then from Springfield to Chicago, via a roundabout route, in 1853, but did not have the line in operation until 1854. At Guttenberg, Iowa, an island split the river into two channels, one passing in front of the city and the other running along the Wisconsin side. Post-Civil War Dixon, 103 miles (166 kilometers) west of Chicago, was a growing city split by the formidable Rock River, a tributary of the Mississippi on which, a few miles north and a half . They would have to focus the river's current into one main channel and block off the myriad side channels. Whatever products the Midwest came to manufacture, like woolen and cotton fabrics, would find their chief market in the South and Southwest. Overall, Warren found that those who had been using the river evince a shrewd knowledge of the action of running water and the means of temporarily controlling it, gained by their constant experience and observation.33 Warren listened to these knowledgeable sources, but came to his own conclusions. From the building boat, Alberta Kirchner recalled, . 106-7. Minnesota Highway 371 Bridge Mississippi River Bridge (La Crosse, Wisconsin) N Natchez-Vidalia Bridge Nature Road Bridge New Chain of Rocks Bridge Norbert F. Beckey Bridge North Channel Bridge Northern Pacific Bridge Number 9 Northern Pacific-BNSF Minneapolis Rail Bridge Nymore Bridge O Old Sartell Bridge Old Vicksburg Bridge Bridges over the Mississippi River at Winona, Minnesota, 1898. Raymond Merritt, Creativity, Conflict & Controversy: A History of the St. Paul District, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, (Washington: U.S. Government Printing Office, 1979); Roald Tweet, A History of Rock Island District, (Washington: U.S. Government Printing Office, 1984), pp. Self-guided Tours from $27.00 per adult Amazing Let's Roam Jackson Scavenger Hunt: Pretty Mississippi! Demonstrating the Grange's early concern for improving the Mississippi River, the state Grange convention of 1869 featured the river. Sandbars posed the most persistent and frequent problem. .dodging reefs and hunting the best water.22 Poor hunters often fell prey to the river they hunted. The desire to improve navigation on the upper river affected the river above the Twin Cities, as well. 58, pp. It is a story with local and national significance. Subsequently he turned to newspaper editing and publishing.20 U.S. 278 is proposed to later move to the Dean Bridge when built (unknown). Merrick lists the number or arrivals and the number of boats at St. Paul for each of these years. To steamboat pilots the natural river was too perilous, and Midwesterners feared an unreliable river might limit their region's destiny. The Mississippi River bridges range from 40 to 117 years in age. George Byron Merrick, Old Times on the Upper Mississippi: The Recollections of a Steamboat Pilot from 1854 to 1863, Appendix B, Opening of Navigation at St. Paul, 1844-1862, (St. Paul: Minnesota Historical Society Press, 1987), p. 295. It parallels the Mississippi River and winds it way through both sides of the flood wall that protects the city of St. Louis. As the state failed to return it, the Corps did not begin work. Another wave soon followed. . Looking at some of the different expert estimates, it can be said that the Mississippi River is more than 2,300 miles in length. While intense local issues had resulted in two dams, an equally intense national debate would lead to a new project for one. Congress initially balked at the projects pork-barrel appearance. Annual Report, 1908, pp. Fortunately, unlike Illinois, MN rehabilitates and keeps some of its truss bridges, including this one. To fulfill that destiny, they would help transform the entire upper Mississippi River and make the reach between Hastings and St. Anthony Falls one of the rivers most engineered. During its 1872 to 1873 session, Congress temporarily ended debate over the project, when it refused to amend the land grant.84. Pike, Sources of the Mississippi, p. 24; Keating, Narrative of an Expedition, p. 297. [5] In all, 145 tornadoes touched down, 114 of them on March 31 alone. Trains ran when the river was high or low; they ran when the cold of winter froze it; for the most part, they ran throughout the year.42 Those railroads that ran east to westmost importantly to Chicagotook advantage of complementary markets. Posted . The works built under the 41/2-foot channel project embody these national movements and local efforts. . In 1872, Captain J. Throckmorton argued that while wing dams would probably not work for the upper river, closing dams would. . Bridges (28) There are no bridges across the Mississippi River below New Orleans. At this point, Minneapolitans began fighting among themselves over the project.83, Millers feared a competing water power so close to St. Anthony Falls and believed that the project might jeopardize federal funding for repair work at the falls. In 1880, however, it finally authorized an experimental dam for Lake Winnibigoshish and authorized the remaining dams shortly afterwards. From the St. Croix to the Illinois River it varied from 18 to 24 inches.15 A few miles below St. Paul, the river sometimes became so shallow that boats would have to stop within sight of the city.16 The folklore that people once waded across the Mississippi is true. Henry P. Bosse. They needed local navigation projects, but these did little good without a navigable river downstream. For purposes of the study, it was assumed that each of the highway corridor alternatives should also be considered as rail corridor alternatives at the outset. Allied with them were sawmill operators and boom company operators William W. Eastman, John Martin, Sumner W. Farnham, James A. Lovejoy, and Joel B. Bassett. During the late summer or early fall, when the Mississippi usually became a shallow, slow-moving stream, the wing dams could not direct enough water down the channel to scour it. (August 2008) In 1856, the Rock Island Railroad opened the bridge over the Mississippi River and was soon the center of controversy when the Effie Afton steamboat ran into and severely damaged the bridge. Petersen, Steamboating, p. 298, also recognizes the railroad at Rock Island as the first to reach the river. . Mackenzie made the surveys, including borings, during the low-water season of 1893 and concluded that the Corps would have to build two locks and dams to bring navigation to the old steamboat landing below the Washington Avenue Bridge. In 1867, they held, according to one historian, the most important navigation improvement convention before 1873. Warren provided estimates for a variety of projects, in his first annual report in 1867. They would have to eliminate the wide shallows and sandbars and the thou- sands of little pools that Warren had once sought to preserve. They had closed nearly all the side channels. Following through on the 1894 act, Congress provided for the construction of Lock and Dam 1 in the River and Harbor Act of March 3, 1899. Language links are at the top of the page across from the title. For those wanting a more immersive train ride, book your seat on the Hiwassee Loop, a 50-mile trip that takes you through the wilderness, crossing over other tracks and winding up the mountain.Its views of the Hiwassee River Gorge are exceptional in the fall, but it's still a great ride any time of year. There are many bridges that will allow you to cross the Tiber River. To create a 4-foot channel and deal with the Rock Island and Des Moines Rapids, the Corps established its first offices on the upper Mississippi River: one at St. Paul and one at Keokuk, Iowa (the latter would be moved to Rock Island in 1869).28 On July 31, 1866, A. Crawford said a railroad bridge was completed in 1892 at Memphis. This iconic bridge spans the Missouri River in Kansas City. As with so many projects, the Economic Panic of 1857 and the Civil War stalled the Mississippi River Improvement and Manufacturing Company's plans, postponing the project and the intercity conflict.72, Holding to their dream through the depression and the war, Meeker and Morrison beseeched Congress for a land grant to fund their project in 1865.